Monday, April 6, 2009

"Fun"-dant for spring


Photobucket


Excuse the pun. You all know that I can't resist being corny.

E-A-S-Y is how to spell buttercream fondant. It's perfect for your spring and Easter celebrations and more affordable than buying ready-rolled and coloring it yourself. Plus, if you're a glutton for pretending that you're on the Food Network (the cameras are hiding behind my living room drapes, right?) then this is the recipe for you! I first dabbled in it a couple of years ago (this photo may be recognizable to some) and plan on doing something fun with it this year again perhaps. I'm thinking polka-dots...something fun with cupcakes and dots. Too chic, swoon!

FONDANT INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of light corn syrup and 1 cup of shortening. Mix in 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of vanilla extract (recipe recommends clear, but I really didn't see a difference unless you'd prefer blazin' white). Gradually mix in 2 lbs of confectioner's sugar until a stiff dough forms. Knead by hand while gradually adding the sugar. If the dough is too sticky, add a little bit more sugar. Roll out on a surface lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar. Drape over cake or use to create decorations with cookie cutters, by hand, etc. Store extra in an airtight container in fridge.

** I didn't have a large space to roll a big sheet of fondant at the old house, so I sugared up a big baking sheet and rolled it on that.

Tip: I used a cookie cutter to do the flowers, and I cut the leaves out myself with a paring knife...that hubby actually lost over the holidays by leaving it in a pizza box and then tossing the box. Sigh. I guess I'll have to find room in my heart to love a new one. :o) But we'd been through so much...fondant and all!

BLUEBERRY SPONGE CAKE INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat 4 eggs for four minutes and gradually add in 1 cup of sugar. Beat another 4-5 minutes. (I used a hand-mixer, so this was how I burnt off the calores in the cake, of course) In another bowl, whisk 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 tsp of baking powder, and add to egg mixture 'til just combined. In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of milk and 2 tbsp of butter until butter just melts. Add to egg mixture and beat 'til combined. Stir in 2 cups of blueberries, fresh or thawed from frozen. Pour into a 9 inch cake pan and bake 20-25 minutes (mine had to go about 5 minutes longer).

** Make sure to grease the sides of your cake pan, and I recommend lining the bottom with my best friend - parchment paper. After cooling, wrap the entire thing (pan and all) in plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours. Remove from freezer, let sit a couple of minutes, and carefully remove from pan, flipping it upside-down onto a plate. This is the BEST way I've ever come across to take a cake out of a baking pan...and this advice is coming from a woman who's wrecked many a cake!

CREAM CHEESE ICING INGREDIENTS & DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup of softened butter and 16 ounces of cream cheese (two 8 oz. packages). Mix in 1 tsp of vanilla extract and gradually stir in 2 cups of sifted confectioner's sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. This recipe makes enough to icing one two-layer cake.

** I whisked two cups of confectioner's sugar instead of sifted. It works just as well, since they both aerate the sugar.



P.S. As far as I know, there's no law against eating half of your cream cheese icing and cake batter before baking. Not in this part of PA at least.

26 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely deelish!And so wonderfully Spring-y! I'm definitely going to have to try these recipes soon...especially the blueberry sponge cake. Love, love blueberry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet springtime treat! Love it!

    I've never tried fondant - but my daughter's birthday is in May, so you're giving me some ideas. Pop over to my blog and see my boys' birthday cake from this weekend. I loved it, but it certainly was anything but dainty and springy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting your great recipes. My oldest wants to learn to work with fondant.
    Sorry about the comments you've been getting.
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cake! I love making cakes for celebrations but I am always disappointed how mine look...I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome. I'm usually too lazy to do things like that... LOL But I do need to try the fondant since I want to make some egg shaped cakes and you're "supposed to" cover them with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents are coming in a couple weeks. I think we'll try it when they come. My mom will enjoy doing that. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try this recipe. I've done marshmallow fondant, but not buttercream. I have been thinking of ideas for Easter, and I want to do a fondant cake. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely cake. So springy looking;-)

    Have a great day.

    Blessings,

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really a fun recipe, guys!

    Lisa - I'll head over tonight! How fun! I love party pics!

    Cricket - I'm not really that good at cake decorating, either. I'm *really* bad at taking them out of pans actually and have been known to end up with crushed cakes that I've been *forced* to eat instead of serve. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wondered about fondant. Thank you for sharing this Kelly.

    Happy Easter. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly, you've saved the cake-decorating day!! My husband is the cake decorator in this family (and he's insanely talented at it) but he never quite figured out fondant. As I was scrolling through this post today, his eyes caught the fondant recipe. "I can make this on my OWN!" he exclaimed. I practically saw the lightbulb go on over his head.

    So, THANK YOU!!! We should have some fun with our daughter's birthday cake this July!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so good!! I want a slice!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks absolutely deelish!And so wonderfully Spring-y! I'm definitely going to have to try these recipes soon...especially the blueberry sponge cake. Love, love blueberry!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's really a fun recipe, guys!

    Lisa - I'll head over tonight! How fun! I love party pics!

    Cricket - I'm not really that good at cake decorating, either. I'm *really* bad at taking them out of pans actually and have been known to end up with crushed cakes that I've been *forced* to eat instead of serve. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to try this recipe. I've done marshmallow fondant, but not buttercream. I have been thinking of ideas for Easter, and I want to do a fondant cake. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lovely cake. So springy looking;-)

    Have a great day.

    Blessings,

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks awesome. I'm usually too lazy to do things like that... LOL But I do need to try the fondant since I want to make some egg shaped cakes and you're "supposed to" cover them with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for posting your great recipes. My oldest wants to learn to work with fondant.
    Sorry about the comments you've been getting.
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet springtime treat! Love it!

    I've never tried fondant - but my daughter's birthday is in May, so you're giving me some ideas. Pop over to my blog and see my boys' birthday cake from this weekend. I loved it, but it certainly was anything but dainty and springy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful cake! I love making cakes for celebrations but I am always disappointed how mine look...I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kelly, you've saved the cake-decorating day!! My husband is the cake decorator in this family (and he's insanely talented at it) but he never quite figured out fondant. As I was scrolling through this post today, his eyes caught the fondant recipe. "I can make this on my OWN!" he exclaimed. I practically saw the lightbulb go on over his head.

    So, THANK YOU!!! We should have some fun with our daughter's birthday cake this July!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My parents are coming in a couple weeks. I think we'll try it when they come. My mom will enjoy doing that. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always wondered about fondant. Thank you for sharing this Kelly.

    Happy Easter. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so good!! I want a slice!! lol

    ReplyDelete