Friday, December 11, 2009

Marshmallow Candy Cane Dippers

This post is a repeat from last year's holiday season. Thanks, Lauren, for remembering it. :o)

Photobucket

This quick and oh so easy little treat is a wonderful way to bring some Christmas cheer to friends and neighbors. Grace had a blast being the official "crushed candy cane roller lady". I swiped adapted (hey, they had two marshmallows to a stick, LOL) this idea from Better Homes and Gardens and give it two sticky thumbs up...after taste-testing them myself, of course.

You'll Need:

a bag of marshmallows

1/4 cup of water

1 cup of confectioner's sugar

box of crushed candy canes (I actually used a bag of peppermint candies) OR Nestle Tollhouse's white chocolate peppermint chips (with the chocolate chips in the baking section)

lollipop sticks (from the craft/cake decorating section at Walmart or your arts & crafts store)

clear treat bags (also from that section at Walmart)

Photobucket

Aww, my little Rose last year! Alice was still a belly bump, and Rose was an excitedly expectant big sis. Hopefully she'll someday forgive me for those short mama-chopped bangs. Is this a repeated issue in my life? :o)

The To-Do:

Stir together the water and sugar until it forms a thin paste (the original article from BHG says to use about 3-4 tsp of water, but that wasn't getting the job done for me and it ended up being about 1/4 cup total).

Put candy canes into a plastic Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin (or let your husband hammer them like mine did :o). If you're using the white chocolate peppermint chips, you don't need to do a thing. Just don't eat 'em all.

Dip each marshmallow half-way into the sugar mixture, then roll it in a bowl of crushed candy canes to coat. Let dry on a baking sheet (doesn't take very long) and stick it with a lollipop stick. Package up all cute and purdy with some hot cocoa mixes and you're good to gulp!

Photobucket

Something new: Besides the white chocolate peppermint chips that I mentioned for the first time this year, I have another new idea to wow the choco-lovers in your life. Melt 1 bag of milk chocolate chips in a double boiler (or a glass bowl atop 1-2 inches of boiling water in a pot). Insert sticks into marshmallows and dip into chocolate, roll in peppermints and set out to harden (or pop into fridge).

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great idea! Now I know what to include for kids in the family gift bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great idea! Now I know what to include for kids in the family gift bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little Gracie! My how she has grown in the last year! They've got to stop I tell ya! I'll take her sweetness over the treats, even though they look yummy, but at least she won't make me fat :0).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet little Gracie! My how she has grown in the last year! They've got to stop I tell ya! I'll take her sweetness over the treats, even though they look yummy, but at least she won't make me fat :0).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you reposted this! I was just thinking that I wanted to make these for our small group Christmas party.

    Look at Grace!! She has grown up into such a little lady (and great big sis!) in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you reposted this! I was just thinking that I wanted to make these for our small group Christmas party.

    Look at Grace!! She has grown up into such a little lady (and great big sis!) in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We might try this. I was at the craft store today (actually three craft stores looking for Evelyn's Christmas request- found it at the last stop which was a relief) and bought a kit to make chocolate lollipops and shapes for Christmas. It has molds and chocolate and such and I bought some extra melting chocolates so we can make more.

    Every year my mom uses chocolate, pretzel rods and sprinkles and such to make treat/gifts. She melts the chocolate, dips the pretzel and then puts on whatever the chosen decoration is. They can be made for any holiday and are so yummy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We might try this. I was at the craft store today (actually three craft stores looking for Evelyn's Christmas request- found it at the last stop which was a relief) and bought a kit to make chocolate lollipops and shapes for Christmas. It has molds and chocolate and such and I bought some extra melting chocolates so we can make more.

    Every year my mom uses chocolate, pretzel rods and sprinkles and such to make treat/gifts. She melts the chocolate, dips the pretzel and then puts on whatever the chosen decoration is. They can be made for any holiday and are so yummy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess this isn't the season for thinking about watching my waistline...thanks so much for sharing! Listen, I also wanted to thank you soooooooo much for stop­ping by on my Spe­cial SITS Day. It’s taken me a while to get back, but I hope to see you around the blo­gos­phere again soon!

    The Sun Also Rises

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess this isn't the season for thinking about watching my waistline...thanks so much for sharing! Listen, I also wanted to thank you soooooooo much for stop­ping by on my Spe­cial SITS Day. It’s taken me a while to get back, but I hope to see you around the blo­gos­phere again soon!

    The Sun Also Rises

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bought my cousin this gigantic mug from Michaels and I've been looking for something to put in it - this is the perfect idea! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought my cousin this gigantic mug from Michaels and I've been looking for something to put in it - this is the perfect idea! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute! I did some similar for my little girls Princess Tea Party in October but instead of the peppermint candies I used pink sanding sugar! I never thought of doing it for Christmas! Thanks for the idea! This will be on my to do list :0)
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! I did some similar for my little girls Princess Tea Party in October but instead of the peppermint candies I used pink sanding sugar! I never thought of doing it for Christmas! Thanks for the idea! This will be on my to do list :0)
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a super cute idea!! I will have to remember that one. Thanks for sharing.,

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a super cute idea!! I will have to remember that one. Thanks for sharing.,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the idea...thank you. I am going to take advantage of it for a couple of christmas gifts. Hope you don't mind when I end up making them I will probably be posting them on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely share it, Melody! It's so cute and fun...and yummy. I'm quite addicted to them. ;o) (Even without hot chocolate!)

    Farrah - You're such a sweetheart! MG would love you!!

    ReplyDelete